October 4, 2010
In my belief, you cannot deal with the most serious things in the world unless you also understand the most amusing! -Winston Churchill
So... Lighten up!!!
Frog Update... From "Eat That Frog"... if you eat a frog first thing every day, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that it's probably the worst thing that will happen to you all day. I'll be posting more as time goes on... but until then, don't be scared to 'eat that frog.'
Make a list (on a daily or weekly basis.) Circle your Frog. Tell someone...
All children have unique strengths and needs, and deserve an individualized, collaborative, quality education.
Every individual is worthy.
Individuals rise to meet expectations.
Program Supervision Mission Statement (Special Education Director):
We should provide districts with up-to-date information concerning IDEA, Rule 51, and other compliance and regulatory initiatives.
We assist in fostering positive relationships between districts and their families in supporting students.
We provide technical assistance to districts in support of student learning.
It is what it is.
My Goals for 2010-2011...
1) Complete training and broadcast webinars for special education teachers and administrators on special education issues.
2) Increase efforts to promote ESU 4's mission within correspondence and via newspapers, newsletter, presentations and radio.
1) Develop a profile (or final report) that includes data from the ESU 4 Special Education staff sharing information about their services, staff development opportunities, evaluations, student achievement, program goals, outcomes data, etc.
2) Implement a staff evaluation/development system that is research/evidence-based, includes the self assessment of professional skills, provides specific feedback to staff, and creates a foundation for each staff member's individual development/training plan. (QOE/PLN project.)
1) Create a new staff/teacher orientation handbook, explaining the scope of services and mission of ESU 4/NCECBVI.
2) Develop a profile (or final report) that includes data from the ESU 4 Special Education staff sharing information about their services, staff development opportunities, evaluations, student achievement, program goals, outcomes data, etc.
EMAIL ME IF YOU'VE READ MY GOALS... PLEASE ADD ANY COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS?
AND THEN SOME... ???
I'd still like to share your 'and then some' stories through the Monday Memo. I would also like you to look for examples of people sharing their 'Frogginess' which means that they are looking and moving forward to support ESU 4 and it's districts.
How to smile...
Show others you care by giving attention to their needs.
The opportunity to serve is a gift… not an entitlement.
We’re at each other’s service and contact is where it starts.
We’ve got work to do.
It’s where pleasantness begins.
"Failure is in the EYES of the Beholder":
- Beethoven's music teacher once said of him, "As a composer, he is hopeless."
- Einstein was 4 years old before he could speak.
- Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team.
- A newspaper editor fired Walt Disney because he 'lacked imagination and had no good ideas.'
- Winston Churchill failed the sixth grade and had to repeat it because he did not complete the tests that were required for promotion.
- Babe Ruth struck out 1,380 times... a major league record.
The correct answer is... ALWAYS!!!
A weekend off for the Huskers followed by a date with the 'Purple People' on Thursday!
Never stop playing the game!
Educational Service Unit #4, Auburn, Nebraska