September 13, 2010
"Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate you friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is." ~Unknown
Sunday, September 19 - QAR team gathers at the ESU 4 Learning Center for Orientation (4:00 p.m.) and meets with the ESU 4 Leadership Team (6:00 p.m.)
Monday, September 20 - QAR team interviews ESU 4 Leadership team and visits Falls City/Auburn; QAR team meets with the ESU 4 Board of Education and reviews artifacts
Tuesday, September 21 - QAR teams visit NCECBVI, Nebraska City, Johnson Brock, HTRS, ESU 4 Learning Center; A QAR team will interview ESU 4 staff at the Learning Center, beginning approximately 2:30 p.m.
Wednesday, September 22 - QAR teams make any follow up visits as deemed necessary; exit interviews with Leadership Team @ 2:30 at NCEC. Oral Exit report at NCECBVI, beginning at 3:30 p.m.
We are looking forward to concluding this step as we proceed to our goal for national accreditation. The QAR team will present at least 1 recommendations to ESU 4; we look forward to using that as we continue to Move "4"ward. If you have any questions about the AdvancED/QAR visit, please don't hesitate to let me know. I can email a more indepth schedule to you if you so desire; just let me know.
A Note from Catrina about Your Health... Recently we had a little excitement involving pertussis or whooping cough. Without going into a lot of details that most don't need to know, everyone who works with children should check to make sure their Tetanus shot is current
(within the last 10 years) and that it contained pertussis in the vaccine. The recommendation from the health department based upon CDC recommendations is that everyone who works or is around children should check with their doctor about their vaccination status at their next appointment. There is no need to rush in right away, a good opportunity might be when you go in for your flu shot or at your next annual physical to ask if you have had a dTap (Diptheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis)vaccine within the last 10 years. If not it is recommended that everyone receive a dTap vaccine because typically adults are the carriers of pertussis (whooping cough) and could be putting young children or medically fragile children at risk of serious medical complications or could even be fatal for some young children.
Photo Ideas... Katrina has been taking pictures! Please make sure that you have made yourself available for your ID picture, if you haven't already. You don't want us to pick something out for you, do you???? Katrina will be making this up soon... We still need pictures of Rose, Gregg, Julinne, Diane, & Shelly. If you are coming close to Auburn for a meeting or otherwise, please let us know. If I'm going to be in a district and you're going to be there that day, please be prepared to get your picture taken.
Self Evaluations/Goals-action plans/Individual Development Plans... I originally said that these will be due on September 3rd. As of now, I'm sticking with that date, but I will be willing to negotiate! I'll be sending your more information about this we the 3rd gets closer. I did note that the additional copies I thought I needed to get to you are actually found behind the "Evaluation Rubrics" tab. You will just need to match things up with your rubric. I will be posting many of these documents on Google Docs so I will be working with everyone to get a google-docs account. (THANKS to those of you who sent yours in by September 3rd! Thanks to those of you who asked for an extension. I didn't hear from everyone so I'm assuming your's are "in the mail???")
Requests for Professional Development/Workshops... I am getting some requests for people wanting to attend workshops or staff development. As I mentioned at our meeting at NCEC, your requests need to match up with your Individual Development Plan (IDP). So, until I get your IDP, I am unable to okay requests. Also, be wise in making your requests as I am being asked to pay close attention to the costs associated with professional development among ESU 4 staff. If I can use grant funds, I will and your requests will most likely be approved. If I cannot use grant funds, it might be iffy!
So... Lighten up!!!
Frog Update... From "Eat That Frog"... if you eat a frog first thing every day, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that it's probably the worst thing that will happen to you all day. I'll be posting more as time goes on... but until then, don't be scared to 'eat that frog.'
Make a list (on a daily or weekly basis.) Circle your Frog. Tell someone...
All children have unique strengths and needs, and deserve an individualized, collaborative, quality education.
Every individual is worthy.
Individuals rise to meet expectations.
Program Supervision Mission Statement (Special Education Director):
We should provide districts with up-to-date information concerning IDEA, Rule 51, and other compliance and regulatory initiatives.
We assist in fostering positive relationships between districts and their families in supporting students.
We provide technical assistance to districts in support of student learning.
It is what it is.
My Goals for 2010-2011...
1) Complete training and broadcast webinars for special education teachers and administrators on special education issues.
2) Increase efforts to promote ESU 4's mission within correspondence and via newspapers, newsletter, presentations and radio.
1) Develop a profile (or final report) that includes data from the ESU 4 Special Education staff sharing information about their services, staff development opportunities, evaluations, student achievement, program goals, outcomes data, etc.
2) Implement a staff evaluation/development system that is research/evidence-based, includes the self assessment of professional skills, provides specific feedback to staff, and creates a foundation for each staff member's individual development/training plan. (QOE/PLN project.)
1) Create a new staff/teacher orientation handbook, explaining the scope of services and mission of ESU 4/NCECBVI.
2) Develop a profile (or final report) that includes data from the ESU 4 Special Education staff sharing information about their services, staff development opportunities, evaluations, student achievement, program goals, outcomes data, etc.
EMAIL ME IF YOU'VE READ MY GOALS... PLEASE ADD ANY COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS?
AND THEN SOME... ???
I'd still like to share your 'and then some' stories through the Monday Memo. I would also like you to look for examples of people sharing their 'Frogginess' which means that they are looking and moving forward to support ESU 4 and it's districts. Maybe "FROG" should stand for "Fully Recognizing Our Greatness!" What do you think?
How to smile...
Show others you care by giving attention to their needs.
The opportunity to serve is a gift… not an entitlement.
We’re at each other’s service and contact is where it starts.
We’ve got work to do.
It’s where pleasantness begins.
"Failure is in the EYES of the Beholder":
- Beethoven's music teacher once said of him, "As a composer, he is hopeless."
- Einstein was 4 years old before he could speak.
- Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team.
- A newspaper editor fired Walt Disney because he 'lacked imagination and had no good ideas.'
- Winston Churchill failed the sixth grade and had to repeat it because he did not complete the tests that were required for promotion.
- Babe Ruth struck out 1,380 times... a major league record.
The correct answer is... ALWAYS!!!
COUNTDOWN TO GAME DAY!!!
Never stop playing the game!
Educational Service Unit #4